When preparing a message for a donor or donors it always helpful to look at The Seven Faces of Philanthropy. Is the message the same for #2 as it is for #4? Can a single message meet the needs or requirements of all the “faces”? Probably not but, at least, consider them when crafting a case for support.
When writing a thank you letter or a proposal for a single donor then you have the opportunity to personalize and really focus on that donor’s “face”.
1. The Communitarian: Doing Good Makes Sense
2. The Devout: Doing Good Is God’s Will
3. The Investor: Doing Good Is Good Business
4. The Socialite: Doing Good Is Fun
5. The Altruist: Doing Good Feels Good
6. The Repayer: Doing Good in Return
7. The Dynast: Doing Good Is a Family Tradition
The Seven Faces of Philanthropy
Russ Alan Prince & Karen Maru File
1994 Jossey-Bass Inc.